Casual Behavioral Health Intake
Company: Advocate Health
Posted on: November 19, 2023
- Conducts initial intake assessments for the determination of
Behavioral Health patient level of care placement in collaboration
with emergency departments, psychiatry, and acute care units.
Collaborates with psychiatry to recommend appropriate level of care
to attending physicians and community based referral sources.
- Assists with crisis intervention and intervenes in emergencies
utilizing proper procedures, therapeutic counseling and
de-escalation skills. Maintains patient safety by collaborating
with loss prevention, hospital physicians, and caregivers. Provides
collaboration with local police departments and rescue services.
Contributes to the development of emergency department
communication information when appropriate. Secures appropriate
Releases of Information and facilitates collaboration with
community agencies and providers to promote continuity of
- Triages requests for services by phone, in person, or through
telepsychiatry. Answer incoming calls regarding admissions,
referrals, community resources or general information related to
clinical programming and ABHS inpatient or outpatient services.
Schedules, transfers and refers patients for clinical assessment as
needed or requested. Refers to resources available throughout ABHS
or community-based resources.
- Verifies patient's insurance to ensure accurate benefits and
appropriate referral to providers for services. Completes
pre-authorization requirements and documents authorizations
received in the electronic medical record. Records name of
authorizing person at the insurance company, date and time.
Explains and assists the patient in understanding their insurance
benefits when information is available. Collaborates with Case
Management to ensure authorizations are complete and accurate.
- Documents in the electronic medical records, obtaining detailed
and thorough information. Completes accurate and timely assessments
of patients as reflected in documentation, with particular emphasis
on patient safety and risk factors. Documentation responsibilities
include assessment, crisis treatment plans, and discharge
recommendations. Identifies discharge planning by documenting
aftercare needs. Accurately completes all documentation
responsibilities as outlined in department/service area procedures
within established time lines. Communicates needs to case
management / social work caregivers through phone contact,
electronically and in chart documentation while adhering to
- Provides consultation/assessment services to acute care units,
or other areas as assigned, providing consultation on complex
patient needs and safety issues upon request. Assesses urgent care
needs of patients, provide crisis counseling, individual
assessments, and obtain appropriate authorizations. Acts as a
liaison to referral sources, therapists, physicians, other
caregivers, or the community and informs them of the services
recommended to their patients.
- Assists in providing support to all the intake staff throughout
the system for triage and assessment functions, through on-site,
telephonic, or telepsychiatry service. Provides assistance in
distributing and informing staff about changes in policies,
procedures, processes and implementation of new programs,
procedures and policies. Informs manager of operational issues,
problems and concerns in the department and hospital settings in a
- Assists in orientation of new staff. Responsible for
maintaining intake statistics, maintenance of current community
resource information and monitors service activities.
- Provides clinical therapeutic services to diverse populations.
Accepts for assessment and treats all patients willingly and with
- Documents requests for psychiatric consultation service,
notifies consultants and verifies completion of consultations on
appropriate forms and electronically.
- Must be able to demonstrate knowledge and skills necessary to
provide care appropriate to the age of the patients served. Must
demonstrate knowledge of the principles of growth and development
over the life span and possess the ability to assess data
reflective of the patient's status and interpret the appropriate
information needed to identify each patient's requirements relative
to his/her age-specific needs, and to provide the care needed as
described in the department's policies and procedures. Age-specific
information is developed further in the departmental job
Licensure, Registration, and/or Certification Required:
- None Required.
- Master's Degree in Social Work, or
- Master's Degree in Psychology, Clinical, or
- Master's Degree in Psychology, Educational, or
- Master's Degree in Psychology, Counseling or related field.
- Typically requires 2 years of experience in providing therapy
and/or assessments in behavioral health.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities Required:
- Requires previous experience in the clinical assessment of
psychiatric and chemical dependency disorders of all age
- Demonstrates awareness in working with insurance companies and
managed care review agencies.
- Demonstrates a working knowledge of the State of Wisconsin
Mental Health, Emergency Detention and Development Disabilities
- Must have excellent oral, written communication and
Physical Requirements and Working Conditions:
- Will frequently be required to lift 25 lbs. without assistance,
and will occasionally be required to lift 25 lbs. with
- May be exposed to the following hazards: mechanical, chemical,
blood and body fluids.
- Must be able to sit, stand, walk, squat, bend, and reach above
shoulders and twist.
- Ability to work with an agitated individual using
- Operates all equipment necessary to perform the job.
This job description indicates the general nature and level of work
expected of the incumbent. It is not designed to cover or contain a
comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities
required of the incumbent. Incumbent may be required to perform
other related duties.
Keywords: Advocate Health, Sheboygan , Casual Behavioral Health Intake, Healthcare , Sheboygan, Wisconsin
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!